Sunday, March 3, 2013

MI Energy Bites


I enjoy experimenting with healthy, locally sourced foods. Energy bites are gaining popularity, and I have come across a few recipes. So, I started experimenting and came up with my own version. Feel free to tweak it to your tastes. There are no rules beyond it needing to hold together.

Ingredients
2/3 cup dry oatmeal (I use quick) – see note below
2/3 cup coconut flakes
½ cup Koeze smooth peanut butter
1/8 cup flax seeds – see note below
1/6 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/6 cup raw cacao nibs
½ teaspoon vanilla (I use glycerin based rather than alcohol based; either work)

Instructions
1.       Mix together the nut butter, honey (or agave nectar), and vanilla.
2.       Add in the dry ingredients one at a time. Stir together.
3.       Refrigerate the mixture for at least 30 minutes to chill it enough to roll.
4.       Roll into balls.
5.       Store in the refrigerator.
Alternately, for step 4, flatten the rolled balls and dehydrate them for a few hours. This will make them hold together for traveling. I toss a few in a bag in my purse when I am out for a day and need a snack.

NOTE: The Koeze creamy peanut butter is the driest nut butter that I have used to make energy bites. If you are using another type you will probably have to adjust the oatmeal and the flax seeds. For example, when I use raw almond butter, I use 1 cup of oatmeal and a bit more flax seeds.


Michigan Ingredients

How they look round and as flattened and dehydrated

No comments:

Post a Comment