Thursday, June 7, 2012
Triple Strawberry Cake – It’s Healthy Too
This recipe was revised from one that I saw in the Grand Rapids Press. I made a half batch in a loaf pan. This is why the cake looks as it does in the photo below. The recipe below is for a full sized cake.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used Jennings, of course)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 large local eggs, at room temperature
1 cup low-fat strawberry yogurt (I used Thomas)
1 cup Michigan honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup dried strawberries
2 cups of fresh strawberries, chopped and mashed for topping
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, yogurt, honey, and oil.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat for one minute until blended.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula. Then, beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Stir in the dried strawberries.
- Spread the batter in a 9-inch square metal pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely. Serve with mashed berries on top.