Sunday, November 27, 2011

Squash Lasagna

Tired of left over free-range turkey yet? Thanks to my friend Doug for asking me recently whether I had a squash lasagna recipe. I didn’t. But I made one up after that conversation and tried it out. I made my test in a 7 x 11 size pan and the recipe below is based on that size.

Early Preparation:
- Roast one half small butternut squash. I roast several at once and freeze them. Click here for directions. http://milocalfoodbeet.blogspot.com/2010/10/less-waste-weekend.html
- Make the sauce: Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and whisk in 4 teaspoons flour; cook 2 minutes. Add ¾ cup milk (I used rice milk) and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add 4 ounces of herbed goat cheese, a dash of salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and a dash of garlic powder.
- Cook nine lasagna noodles using the package directions. I used VitaSpelt noodles. http://www.purityfoods.com/
- Peel, slice, and cook two golden beets. (optional)
- Mix one half package of Japanese firm tofu (the kind in the aseptic package) with one egg and a Tablespoon of dried sage. Alternatively, you could use the traditional ricotta cheese – I was making my dish low-lactose.
- Slice one small onion, pull the rings apart and fry slowly until caramelized in olive oil; toward the end, add two minced garlic cloves and cook them.
- Sauté several crimini mushrooms.

Assembly:
1. Brush melted butter in the bottom of the lasagna pan.
2. Lay three noodles in pan side by side.
3. Spread the tofu mixture on top of the noodles.
4. Layer on the (optional) beet slices.
5. Lay three noodles.
6. Scoop the cooked squash out of the shell and layer it on top of the noodles.
7. Top the squash with the onion and garlic and the mushrooms.
8. Spread half of the sauce on the above.
9. Layer three noodles.
10. Spread the second half of the sauce on the above.
11. Top with shredded mild white cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. (Or follow the directions on the lasagna noodle package.)


Follow on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment