Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Detroit's Eastern Market


 

 
Last Saturday I spent the day at the Eastern Market in Detroit. It’s hard to believe that I had never been there.

 
It is six-block public market where up to 40,000 people visit weekly. The Saturday market is open year-round from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm. Since it is so large and I arrived relatively late in the morning, I found it relaxingly uncrowded. It is a visual experience, so I have created a visual blog post.

 
We started at Russell Street Deli for lunch. There was a bit of a line to get into the building, and the man in front of us told us all about the market. We were seated European style, and the women next to us said that all of the food was so good that they could not make a specific recommendation. I had the vegetarian Rueben sandwich. When I asked the waiter about Michigan produced food, he said that about 90% of the food served at the restaurant is from Michigan.



Retail surrounds the market, and Rocky’s is one store that features many Michigan products as well as a large bulk food department. There were many packaged MI products that I had never seen before.

Ethel’s is a gluten free bakery that has a stall at the Eastern Market.


Sander’s Candy Co. has been around since 1875.

DeVries & Co. is another store filled with Michigan goods and located in a lovely historic building.  It has been around since 1887.


Michigan products at DeVries.

 
Remember Faygo? DeVries does.
 
Detroit Cheese Company sells rather than makes cheese. They had very little Michigan cheese – but isn’t their sign cool?
 
I loved the murals in the area.
 

This animal is made of vegetables!
 
There are many warehouses adjacent to the market. The whole neighborhood is filled with color whether it is murals, vegetable stands, or graffiti.

After the market we stopped by Motor City Brewing Works. Some of the food served is grown in city garden plots.

I ordered a beer flight; my favorites were the Pale Ale and the Octoberfest.


Follow MI Local Foodbeet on Facebook
 

No comments:

Post a Comment