Monday, June 6, 2011
Late Spring Supper
Here are some recipes for a spring meal featuring asparagus and other Michigan products. Bob developed a delicious dinner recipe he calls Portabella Oscar. The first step is to make a béarnaise sauce. It is the finishing touch to a layer of tarragon mashed potatoes, portabella mushroom caps, and asparagus spears.
For a delicious meal, I serve this with spelt shortcake topped with strawberry – rhubarb compote.
Béarnaise Sauce (1 cup)
2 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
3/4 cup hot butter (just off boil)
Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, and tarragon in a blender. Process until combined. Then, on low speed add ¼ cup of melted butter. On high speed add ½ cup of melted butter.
1. Make the béarnaise sauce.
2. Make mashed potatoes ( 2-3 medium potatoes for two servings) and add ½ teaspoon tarragon, or to taste
3. Sauté asparagus spears (6-8 for two servings) in olive oil until tender.
4. Sauté portabella cap slices (8 slices for two servings) until browned and cooked through.
Assemble as follows.
5. Place mashed potatoes on plates with mushrooms on top.
6. Layer the asparagus spears onto the mushrooms.
7. Top with béarnaise sauce.
Follow on facebook
See all MI Local Foodbeet posts