Sunday, January 30, 2011

Book Review: Barolo

This book is the “drink” to Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love, I thought as I read Barolo. The book is Matthew Gavin Frank’s food and wine memoir of his several months long trip to Italy. The book was published by University of Nebraska Press, Spring 2010.

Frank stayed in a tent in an Italian vineyard and worked there during harvest season hand picking Nebbiolo grapes. Reading the book was like being on vacation myself: the food, the wine, the locals. Included in the book is Frank's account of his visit to the Salone del Gusto – The Salon of Taste. This event is the brainchild of the Slow Food Movement.

I found this book to be well written; I like a book where I can feel a connection to the characters. Although Frank’s story is occasionally over taken by his own adjectives, the detail in the book is generally sublime. I felt like I was tasting and sipping the book like a good glass of wine. I recommend this book – you will learn a lot about Italy and Italian wine.

So, what is the connection to MI local food? Author Matthew Gavin Frank currently lives in Grand Rapids. And, it is just fun to learn more about wine and its production. Recently Frank participated in an event at the Grand Rapids Public Library downtown. It was delightful to have the chance to hear him read from his book.

1 comment:

  1. He read a bit of the book at a Slow Food West Michigan meeting last summer - the adjectives are much less annoying when spoken rather than read :-)

    ReplyDelete