Monday, October 25, 2010

The Last Taste of Summer



Since we live in a City condo, we have a small courtyard where we grow herbs and container vegetables. As the evenings started to cool this fall, I brought the tomato plant inside. I could not let it go. The plant had been limping along in a Western window until I had one ripe tomato, another starting to ripen, and the third still green. I also brought in two of my basil plants; they seem to be doing well. It was time for the last fresh bruschetta of the year.

Bruschetta is an easy appetizer or light lunch. Below are the steps for making it.

1. Toast some slices of hearty bread, such as whole grain sour dough, in the broiler or toaster. If using the broiler, brush the slices with some olive oil. (Never put oil in a toaster!)

2. Chop up tomatoes and fresh basil.

3. Place the tomatoes and basil on top of the toasted bread slices.

4. Add additional toppings if desired. I added petals from the Nasturtium flowers in my herb garden and some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

5. If you have some balsamic reduction on hand, a sprinkle on each slice is a delicious addition.

I enjoyed my last tomatoes, and I am already looking forward to the first Michigan greenhouse tomatoes – they should be at the farmers market in early June. Counting down the days.

I recently started a facebook page for my blog and other locavore news. Click here to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment