Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Appetizer

This is a locavore blog. A locavore is a person who eats locally grown / produced foods. Of course, we all started out that way as a species. But recently, farms became factories and food travels across the globe. So, we have strawberries year round. I eat fresh strawberries a few weeks per year. Then, I eat the ones that I froze during those summer weeks when they were available to me. I always look forward to strawberries – they herald the start of summer!

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I don’t travel much, so I like to say that I don’t like my food more traveled than I. (OK, with the exception of chocolate.) This blog will focus mainly on vegetarian foods.

I started this blog to educate readers about Michigan’s local foods. Did you know that Michigan is only second to California in the number of foods that we can grow here? (Now you learned something from my blog.) I want to share how I eat and preserve local foods and news about what is in season. This blog will also keep me more focused on eating local. It is so easy to stop by a grocery store for most of my foods. But, I want to focus more on menus that are 35%, 50%, 75%, 100% local foods. I hope that you will join me, and we will learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment